ReadTheWorld

Read The World

I would read every last book on this planet if I could. Rationally knowing that I can't, I'll sure try to read as many books as possible before my time's up!

The Elephant Vanishes
Alfred Birnbaum, Jay Rubin, Haruki Murakami

Why We Forget Most of the Books We Read

...and the TV shows and movies we watch.

I found this a very interesting article! It discusses why we forget a great part of what we read, and what is it that we remember.

A few weeks after reading a book, we already remember just a very general idea of it, probably the main plot or the main focus. As time passes, we loose more and more details. The same thing happens with shows and movies – it is very interesting to see what this article says about memory in modern times and the amount of information we consume.

• Some of the ideas I liked most of the article are:
  • - The fact that our mind tries to remember not the content of the information, but where to find it
  • It is probable that you remember more of where you were and what you were doing when you read the book than the book itself
  • - The fastest you consume the information (binge reading, binge watching), the less you will remember later: you never had the time to fully process and save everything in your long-term memory.

I love the topic of memory, specially when mixed with books!

Another cool link on the topic: https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/the-curse-of-reading-and-forgetting